Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Muir Woods Marathon!

Jon tackled another one! This is one of the most beautiful and challenging marathons you can do. Starting at Stinson Beach near Sanfrancisco and continuing through the Redwood Forest. You can see in some of these pictures of the trails how tiny the path was to run on. The first 11 miles was a steep hike. No running, just hiking as fast as you feel safe to go. Then it started into thicker trails and into the sun. It was about 85 degrees while running so Jon struggled a little. He actually turned around to go back at about the 12 mile mark realizing he was only half way done. He walked for about a minute then realized "I drove in a car with 6 guys for 12 hours to turn around...I don't think so!" So he turned around again and actually caught up with the group at the end, finishing before them and running straight into the ocean! GO JON!




So this is the tiniest trail I have ever seen!
Gotta love the short shorts!

5 comments:

Tiff and Rand said...

Go Jon GO!!!! That is SO awesome, you think I questioned for a minute that he couldn't do it? I think not! That guys crazy! He can run anything even NOT trained. WOW! Ash, your blog is so much fun, you've gotten some fun posts up since the last time I was here. I cracked up at the singing lessons Hunter was giving Hanna, did he charge her alot? And she's potty training already? Riley has had some days of attempting, he actually did really well today until around 3:00 he pooped in his undies...yeah, I gave up after that. Yuck!

Wendy said...

No way! Jon ran Steep Raveen!?!? That is one of our favorite hikes ever! We usually hike down from the upper lot down to the beach. Spencer is going to be so jealous when I tell him that Jon was there. Spencer's family lives right there in California. That would be a brutal marathon!

Milly said...

Wow, those are some amazing pictures! Go Jonathan! Never leave a race unfinished. At least it was a beautiful marathon, albeit hard. Give him a big hug for me.

Marianne said...

Good job Jon! What an accomplishment!

Mare said...

Wow - I had no idea Jon was training for this. (0r wasn't he?) I saw some activity on 'the blog' from that area and wondered who it was. I assumed him, but also assumed he was working. Anyways - congrats - that's awesome that he kept on going and finished!