Monday, June 2, 2008

Spring???

These pictures were taken last weekend up Big Cottonwood Canyon. We haven't hooked up our swamp cooler yet...technical problems and so on Sunday afternoons we are always dying of heat (why does that always happen on Sundays?) Well anyway, we decided to go up to the mountains to cool up and maybe take a little walk with the kids. It was so beautiful and snowy still! I love the summers up there because they're cool and crisp but I had never been up there in the spring like this with so much water. The river runoff was insane! So much this water this year is a very good thing. Well we went up to Silver Lake where we love to come in the summer and walk around the lake. It was frozen over still so we walked over to where the bridge usually is. Jon had Hanna on his shoulders. I had noticed the snow getting a little wetter below our feet but I didn't realized how wet until I saw Jon sink about 3 feet into the ground. his foot sunk through the snow all the way to his thigh and you could see the way to the bottom where the river was moving below us. Hanna rolled off his shoulders onto the snow. The best part was this huge family right next to us...I'm talking like 50 people. When they saw Jon fall, about 10 of the mothers rushed over to us and grabbed Hanna scooping her right up into their arms and pulling Jon out. It kind of alarmed me but it was super sweet of them to be so thoughtful. Anyway sorry to go on and on, it was just a funny thing that happened one Sunday afternoon!
Where Silver Lake usually is!

Thumbs up dude!


THE HOLE!

5 comments:

Tisha said...

Scary! I am glad all those people were there to help! The pictures are amazing! Sounds like quite the eventful afternoon!

We are the Dall family said...

Looks cold, but I am sure you had fun.
I had to make my blog private. If you would like to still view it, e-mail me at dallrc@aol.com

Thanks!

Wendy said...

that looks so nice! We haven't gone up there yet this year. I think we need to make our way up big cottonwood canyon. I love the picture of Hunter giving a big thumbs up!!

Rob and Tiff said...

I'm glad you all made it home safe from that little trip. I'm a little jealous that you were able to go enjoy the mountains and the beautiful crisp air.

Good luck with the swamp cooler.

Mare said...

So glad everyone was okay. It's always scarey to find out what you thought you were on isn't exactly what you thought. On a side note, we are expecting more snow today and all of our rivers have flooded! Crazy weather year!