Monday, June 30, 2008

Fire truck at the cabin!

I love the summer months! Packed full of stuff you've been wanting to do for months and trying to schedule it all in! We got to go to our family cabin this past weekend and had quite the adventure. It started out with just me and the kids while Jon was at Youth Conference and he met up with us on Saturday. WE decided to stay a day longer than everybody else and on Sunday right after everybody left we had quite the experience, I will fill you in:
Jon was upstairs in the cabin and heard a woman's voice outside the cabin screaming very loudly. He ran downstairs thinking it was me playing a joke or something. He saw me cleaning the bathroom and felt his stomach drop realizing that it was someone down by the river. Everyone had gone home except for Jon and I and the kids so he knew it couldn't have been anyone in our family. He hurried down to the river and saw a woman standing on the island in the middle of the river screaming for her husband George who she hadn't seen in about 5 minutes because of the swift current from the spring runoff. She kept screaming that he was caught under the log down the stream. Jon, being the boy scout who is always "prepared" for anything , stepped barefoot into the river trying to make his way to the log she was pointing at. He quickly lost his balance and slipped and falling into the river. He knew to put his feet forward so he could control where he was going but it did take him some time to catch himself long enough to stand up and get on solid ground. In the mean time he had screamed my name and I had run out thinking a million miles an hour of what he could be so scared about. I quickly saw that my son Hunter was sitting on the picnic table...one fright was gone. I still heard screaming and didn't feel much better. He was saying "call 911, call 911, someone is lost or stuck in the river! Find some rope!" I quickly made it the the one corner of the deck that my phone has reception and called 911. They were on their way right away after I figured out how to tell them how to get there. About 5 minutes after I had called, the man somehow made it the edge of the river and made it up stream to find his wife. I called to tell the medics that everyone was ok but they said they wanted to check things out anyway. So imagine if you can a police truck, a medic, a fire engine, and an ambulence driving down the bumpy road that leads to our cabin. They said they wanted to find the man. After an hour and a half of searching, we found them. Down a little further in the river in a side patch moving much slower. I asked the medic why he wanted to see the man and woman still and he said it is very common for people to have medical problems and even die after consuming large amounts of water while trying to breathe. Also he said "We live in Evanston, there isn't much more to do around here."





4 comments:

Milly said...

Wow! That is kind of scary! I am so glad that everyone is okay. Talk about getting your adrenalin pumping! On a different note, your family looks adorable.

Milly said...

I just gave you a blogging award. Come by my blog to receive it.

Lolly Soulier said...

Wow! Crazy! I bet you had a great time up there though. It's gorgeous! I've been thinking about you, and missing you like crazy. I love the dark hair! I hope your summer continues to be wonderful, you deserve it friend.

Momma Dil said...

Holy cow, Ash! No wonder you got tired of repeating that story. It is a pretty cool story though.

The lake looks so pretty. I'm glad you had a good time.